Subject: Re: Packages for NetBSD (Was: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups)
To: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@vitruvius.arbld.unimelb.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 01/09/1995 13:47:14
In some email I received from David Brownlee, they wrote:
[...]
> 	a) perl, tcsh, bash - Perl is just so useful to be able to depend
[...]
> 	b) X11R6 - So many people assume X should come as standard with a
[...]
> 	c) pine, elm, MyFavEMail.exe. Ok - anything with serious
[...]

I think one good reason *not* to distribute them with NetBSD is that they
evolve (patches, etc) outside of it.  Currently, NetBSD only requires to
be updated with gcc (cc) and sendmail - I'm not aware of any other programs
that are part of the NetBSD distribution which are "controlled" from outside
of core.

Having said that, I'd like to voice support for anyone who is willing to
put together add-on packages, which are (at least) binaries of the above
with an installation program.  If they were packaged into floppy disk
size groups, that would be even better (for the general populous).

Cheers,
Darren