Subject: Re: Packages for NetBSD (Was: Why are there two 4.4BSD dev. groups)
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: David Brownlee <D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/1995 23:17:00
*** Sorry about the length of this, but I think I've finally managed to state
*** the point I tried to make last time so I can now shut up :)

	The last thing I want to do is waste the core team's time on non-OS
	code, but I think its worth splitting the 'extras' into three
	categories.

	a) perl, tcsh, bash - Perl is just so useful to be able to depend
	   on having on a system for scripts etc. And I guess everyone
	   who knows about them will pull down tcsh/bash or similar and
	   install them for the extra features. How feasible would it be
	   to replace sh & csh with bash & tcsh? Or at least have them
	   in the core to save N people having to compile them for their
	   systems everytime they pull down a new release!
           Personally there are a couple of other utils I consider just too
	   nice *not* to have on a system - screen & top are my top two :)
	   But I guess if this is another 'everyone wants their own' then
	   they should be packaged as in 'c)' - but I think the shells
	   are just so important to trying to 'sell' the system to someone..

	b) X11R6 - So many people assume X should come as standard with a
	   Unix system... and I guess it should - maybe as as seperate
	   tar.gz file than the main OS, but surely on the same archive
	   server!

	c) pine, elm, MyFavEMail.exe. Ok - anything with serious
	   religious sides I'll stick clear of and should be 'here is a
	   list of some good stuff you might like to add to your NetBSD
	   system', or put up in a packages archive.. whatever... :)

  D.K.Brownlee@city.ac.uk (MIME). Network Analyst. Postmaster. Hostmaster.
              (>=-=<)   Telephone: (+44) 171 477 8186.   (>=-=<)
  Computing Services, City University, Northampton Square, London EC1V 0HB.
  \ Gratuitous advertising      Monochrome BBS      telnet mono.city.ac.uk \