Subject: Re: next release
To: None <gwr@mc.com>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1995 16:16:52
>From: gwr@jericho.mc.com (Gordon W. Ross)
>Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 12:00:16 EST

>One should also study a book on UNIX device drivers, particularly to
>learn about how data structures are shared beween user context and
>interrupt context, with atomic access assured using spl*()/splx()
>around the use-context access code.

Which book would you recommend?  All of the ones I've been able to
find concentrate on driver development under SVR[34], not BSD.

>From Samuel Ko's "Concise Guide to UNIX books":

23. Title: Writing A Unix Device Driver
    Authors: Janet Egan and Tom Teixeria
    Publisher: Wiley
    Edition: 2nd ed. 1992
    ISBN: 0-471-53574-5
    Comment: A classic book on writing programs to control hardware devices ...

24. Title: Writing Unix Device Drivers
    Authors: George Pajari
    Publisher: Addison-Wesley
    Edition: 1992
    ISBN: 0-201-52374-4
    Comment: An easy-to-understand book covering character, block, terminal,
             and stream drivers ...

--
Mike Long                                         Mike.Long@Analog.com
VLSI Design Engineer                  (PGP 2.6.2 public key available)