Subject: Re: Kernel include files
To: Gordon Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/1995 10:27:30
> What about using a little script in place of make?

It's really hard to convince users to use scripts like this.   It
doesn't seem like it would be very hard to add the environment
variable feature to make, and it seems to me that it would be
worthwhile.   Actually, I think the right thing might be to make it a
make variable, and have make always include, e.g.,
${MAKESCRIPTDIR}/sys.mk iff MAKESCRIPTDIR is defined, and otherwise
/usr/share/mk/sys.mk.   Then you could do this in the source
makefiles:

.if (!defined (MAKESCRIPTDIR))
all:
	$(MAKE) $(MFLAGS) MAKESCRIPTDIR=${.CURDIR}/share/mk
.else
	...the rest of the makefile...
.endif

This would nicely prevent unfortunate mistakes from being made.

			       _MelloN_
--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.