Subject: Re: misc/670: sh path does not include /usr/sbin/rmt
To: Daniel Carosone <danielce@ee.mu.OZ.AU>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1995 19:12:44
> Fair enough.  I know it used to be called /etc/rmt, I had assumed that
> was deprecated now.  Would someone in core care to express a
> preference on this issue of style, and then we can fix things
> accordingly?

my feeling on matters like this is that NetBSD should be as tolerant
as possible in terms of what it accepts, and as restrictive as
possible in terms of what it generates.

I think there's a standard (rfc) somewhere that says that rmt should
be invoked as '/etc/rmt'.  If that's the case (can somebody dig up the
relevant RFC?  do any standards cover this?), then NetBSD should
always generate '/etc/rmt'.

In terms of what it accepts, for root, 'rmt' and /etc/rmt will be
accepted (as /usr/sbin is in the standard root .profile's path).  For
other users, it's not clear how much we can do; i don't think it's
wise to be adding /usr/sbin to the default path for other users...

chris