Subject: Re: misc/670: sh path does not include /usr/sbin/rmt
To: None <>
From: Andrew Wheadon <>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/1995 14:48:12
> The default startup path for sh doesn't inlude /usr/sbin, so if root's
> shell is sh, programs like dump and tar that try to use rmt(8) from
> another host fail.
> The shell started is not a login shell, so .profile is no use, and
> there seems to be no way to get sh to source something at startup to
> add this to the path.
> >How-To-Repeat:
> rsh host-with-sh-using-root rmt

The programs that use rmt 'should' call it up as "/etc/rmt" which
does exist as a link to /usr/sbin/rmt. If your tar or dump isn't
doing this then I would believe you should fix the tar or dump.
(I know that HPUX and NetBSD both do it correctly for tar)

The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity. (unknown)
current	release=doc \ "NetBSD-current mirror"
hostbase=/mit/ftp/pub/NetBSD base=/usr prefix=/usr backup delete use-rel-suffix