Subject: Re[2]: big IDE disks
To: meb@werple.mira.net.au, Benjamin Cline <benji@haven.boston.ma.us>
From: None <klee@rdcclink.rd.qms.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/28/1994 09:37:43

I think you're failing to set things up correctly. Pfdisk doesn't seem to be
able to deal properly with these large hard disks. Instead you want to use the
DiskManager set up utility that should have come with your disk. Invoke it
in manual mode ("dm /m"), and select "Hard Disk Installation" from the menu.
Select the drive you want to install on, and then select "Partition Setup and
Configuration". Hit insert and create a Primary dos partition. Select another
free partition slot, hit insert again, and create a partition type of
"**other**". Give a partition type of 165 when asked, and then specify the
size of your NetBSD partition. Now would be a good time to write down the
starting and ending cylinders for each partition, you will want them later on
in the NetBSD installation. At this point, you can exit Disk Manager, and
proceed with the NetBSD installation as described in the Install notes.
<<<<
One thing to remember, though, is that the utilities such as os-bs or
booteasy(last time I checked anyway) cannot boot the partition beyond 1024
cylinder boundary.  So, make sure your DOS partition is within that boundary,
i.e. smaller than 512 Meg.  Otherwise, you will not be able to access NetBSD
once you reboot the computer.

Kang