Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX & other things
To: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 12/27/1994 18:40:29
In message <199412280028.AAA03800@alice.wonderland.org>, Peter Galbavy writes:
> > > BSD != SVR4.
> >
> > Never said it was.  I said take the idea, and change it, make it better.
>
> And just to change the subject *again*, one of the few things I
> *like* about SVR[34] is the /etc/{init.d,rc?.d} stuff. It allows
> you to install and deinstall software and have startup/shutdown
> scripts added without having to edit a single file, and hope your
> changes go in the right place (rc.local or sometimes netstart).
>
> If people are taling about useful changes, then I vote for a bit
> of a re-org of the /etc/rc* files. It doesn't have to involve
> run-levels 0 to 6 or whatever, but just an ordered way of starting
> and stopping system services.

Glad someone else started this one.  I was gonna, after the /dev stuff.
I totally agree, can we think up some *nice* way to split the /etc/rc
stuff up into a decent dir, with ways to start/stop services.  This makes
restarting mail (for example) for a newbie-admin (read desperate moves)
much easier...

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |