Subject: Postgres 4.2 for NetBSD
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1994 05:48:17
Thanks to Jim Bachesta (bachesta@angst.tera.com) and others (whom I roped
in to a mini-Postgres group), I've put my version of Postgres 4.2 on

	charon.amdahl.com:pub/agc/postgres-4.2-src-netbsd-v2.tar.gz

which will run through the regression tests provided. Dynamic linking
is *not* supported yet, partly because Paul Kranenburg's said he's
working on a dlopen for NetBSD, and anything I could do in that respect
would be a pale imitation (and also wouldn't work).

At the moment, I've only tried it on the x86 port - I see no reason
why it wouldn't work on any other port, although minor tweaking will
be required.

This is the netbsd src tree - standard postgres 4.2 should be obtained
from

	s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:pub/postgres

and, when it's been unpacked, move the netbsd src tree into place
instead of the provided src tree.

If I remember correctly, the idea is first to make "bmake" - change to
the tools/bmake directory, remove the obj/ directory, and then type
"make", and then use the resulting bmake to make the rest of postgres -
I know it's kind of fiddly, given that we've got a version of bmake,
but it's easier than trying to install the postgres "mk" files into the
/usr/share/mk directory etc. Full Postgres installation instructions
are in src/doc/postgres-setup.me.

I'm off on holiday/vacation for 10 days now, so any mail sent to me
will experience a slight delay.

Thanks once again to Jim Bachesta for his porting work, thanks to the
various people throughout this year who have prodded me into doing
somthing about Ingres and Postgres, a Merry Christmas and a Happy New
Year to you all, and a big thank you to everyone who helped make 1994
a memorable vintage for NetBSD.

Cheers,
Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.