Subject: ppp and non local ttys
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: John C. Hayward <johnh@david.wheaton.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/23/1994 10:59:35
Dear NetBSDers,
   I have reciently upgraded to 1.0 and are attempting to get ppp running.
If I configure a system without the pseduo device ppp and have
tty02 (attached to com2 an internal modem) I can dial into that line, get
a modem connection and have the banner come up as it should.

If I configure the same system with pseduo device ppp (with 2) when I dial
into that line I get a modem connection but the line acts dead.  Attempting
to send stuff to tty02 causes nothing to come out the modem.  If I change
the flags in /etc/ttys on tty02 to add the local flag, I can dial in
get a modem connection but have to hit return before I get a banner.

It appears that somehow configuring the kernel with pseduo device ppp is
interfering with the ability of the getty to see the carrier come up and
respond to that.

Anybody have suggestions on how to have both ppp configured and have
remote dialins work.  In particular if I get knocked off I want to be
logged off.

Using 1.0 sources for kernel.

johnh...