Subject: Re: The obvious inherent superiority of SVR4 device naming...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@intran.xerox.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <osymh@lightning.oscs.montana.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1994 14:32:09
On Dec 22,  6:57am, Peter Seebach wrote:
} I wasn't going to mention SunOS unless someone else did, but I think SunOS
} is an *excellent* example of where SVR4 wins.  It should be possible to,
} knowing only the configuration of the device you wish to attach, attach it
} to your system and set it up.  The address of a SCSI device should not be
} altered by the addresses of other SCSI devices.  And really, do you expect
} me to believe that *none* of you have ever had device address conflicts because
} you got confused over whether sd0 was unit 0 or 3?  (I know at least some
} people have had this problem, though it may not have been with NetBSD.)

  This is very easy to accomplish.  Just change the definition of the
devices in your config file:

sd0	at scsibus ? target 0 lun 0
sd1	at scsibus ? target 1 lun 0
sd2	at scsibus ? target 2 lun 0 ,etc.

and rebuild the kernel.  This way, SCSI ID 0 will be sd0, SCSI ID 2 will
be sd2, etc, for all the devices you've configured.

Michael

--
Michael L. Hitch			INTERNET:  osymh@montana.edu
Computer Consultant