Subject: Re: The obvious inherent superiority of SVR4 device naming...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
From: Richard H. Wood <rhw@woodstk>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1994 09:28:37
Reply To: rhw@woodwrk.lerctr.org

You know, guys, in the Amiga implementation, I can't see some of my
partitions with the sd0x convention as it is now!

I have some (don't laugh) sVr4 partitions on my 1G disk and I can't
(at least I don't know how to) see those from NetBSD without first
booting AmigaDos, and using HDToolbox to reset the hex partition
id to something NetBSD understands.  Fortunately, this kind of tinkering
with the partition table doesn't destroy the data on the drive (which
by the way, are ufs filesystems, the way I have sVr4 installed).

So, if we used the c1d0s1-to-physicalDrivePartitionBlah convention,
I could quit that tinkering-with-the-partiton-table-nonsense and be
able to see ALL the physical partitions that exist on my drive.  As
it is, some of them are flat invisible under NetBSD, and I find that
kinda hindering.  Kinda like not letting me see some of my hardware
that's there.

(and no, I didn't learn on sV...hell, I don't think I've really ever
_learned_ this os.  Keeps it kinda fun: always learning, I mean.)

-dick (trying to remain "*nix-ecumenical")  ;-)
--
rhw@woodwrk.lerctr.org     -    R. H. \X/ood     -         dwood@cpdsc.com