Subject: Re: future NetBSD cpp predefines...
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/22/1994 01:25:42
> It might be worthwhile also to #define __NetBSD__ to some value - say,
> the major version times 100 plus the minor version.

in a word: no.

for several reasons:
	(1) something like this already exists.  (see <sys/param.h>)
	(2) it unnecessarily burdens the compiler configuration
		process.  There's no reason that, if on day N the
		'name' of -current is "1.0A", and we decide that
		on day N+1 that it should be "1.0B" that the compiler
		configuration goop should care.
	(3) it means that your compiler is strictly limited to
		at-most-one-release-name between recompiles.
		Especially if people have their own locally-compiled
		versions of gcc, or whatever, this is _NOT_ appropriate.

> Gcc currently does something similar with __GNUC__ - its value is
> currently 2.   __GNUC_MINOR__ is 6.   There's no predefine to
> differentiate between 2.6.0 and 2.6.2, though, which I think is a bug.

that's OK for the compiler to do: the compiler version is inherently
bound to the compiler's source and binary code.  the os version is
completely unrelated.

chris