Subject: Re: future NetBSD cpp predefines...
To: proprietor - Foo Bar And Grill <greywolf@lonewolf.ithaca.com>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@vix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 16:49:36
> Stuff like OS versioning is probably better defined in Makefiles than
> in the compiler.

Yes, but we want it to get to the application without having to
specify anything on the compiler command line.   What if the user
overrides CFLAGS?

I think that the right implementation is that when gcc is built, it
includes a well-known header file which defines these values.   It
then builds the defined values into its cpp predefines.   There's no
change to the gcc source code from version to version of NetBSD, but
one should use a version of gcc compiled under the version of NetBSD
one is using.   Not bulletproof, but probably servicable.

> #define __ALPHA__

Well, 1.0 is already released, so 1.0a can't be 1.0 alpha.   Maybe
it's 1.1 alpha...   However, I think it's really 1.0.1.   Maybe
somebody who knows can tell us... :')

			       _MelloN_

--
Ted Lemon							 mellon@vix.com
+1 415 477 5045

Fight to preserve your freedom to program: Join the League for
Programming Freedom!   For info, contact lpf@uunet.uu.net.