Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX & other things
To: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/21/1994 10:18:21
[ On Tue, December 20, 1994 at 14:43:58 (-0600), Tobias Weingartner wrote: ]
> Subject: /dev/cuaXX & other things
>
> To jump on the bandwagon, I think locking should be done in the kernel,
> unless you can think of a way to lock things in userland, and not have to
> worry about lockfiles, etc...

The point is to have the lock files out in the filesystem so that they
can be investigated and maniuplated....

> SVR4 (evil word on these lists?) has started something which would be an
> ok place to look, and modify.  Personally, I don't like c1d2s3p5 (or
> whatever it is) for every disk partition.  However, something like:

In case it escaped your attention, the SysV device names are extremely
descriptive (and thus useful), esp. for SCSI devices.  For example,
c1t2d0s5 is {controller-1}, {scsi_target-2}, {disk_unit-0}, and
{partition/slice-5}.  Hard to forget what physical thing that name
points to, eh?

I wouldn't argue with splitting these names intoe sub-directories where
appropriate, but for SCSI, I don't think the number of addressable units
is really that high to require separate directories for each target or
whatever.

> Also, another nit to pick, why are the pseudo terminals listed in such
> a totaly non-intuitive fashion.  Why not just:
>
> /dev/pty/master
> /dev/pty/000
> /dev/pty/001
> /dev/pty/NNN
>
> This will make certain programs (like finger/ps) hate me, but why not
> change them.  Make NetBSD a friendlier place to live in, without
> sacrificing any functionality...

Yeah!  Please!

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>