Subject: /dev/cuaXX & other things
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tobias Weingartner <weingart@austin.BrandonU.CA>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1994 14:43:58
In message <9412201747.AA10499@snark.imsi.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:

> Greg A. Woods says:
> > But multiple /dev/tty's for for the same port is an icky kludge, and it
> > hides valuable information in the kernel.  (I.e. it's non-unix-like ;-)

To jump on the bandwagon, I think locking should be done in the kernel,
unless you can think of a way to lock things in userland, and not have to
worry about lockfiles, etc...

One thing I do worry about, is the haphazard way that devices are named
in the /dev directory.  Can we clean this up some?  Please?

SVR4 (evil word on these lists?) has started something which would be an
ok place to look, and modify.  Personally, I don't like c1d2s3p5 (or
whatever it is) for every disk partition.  However, something like:

/dev/disk/1/raw:0
/dev/disk/1/block:0
IE:
/dev/{device}/{number}/{device-files}

Also, another nit to pick, why are the pseudo terminals listed in such
a totaly non-intuitive fashion.  Why not just:

/dev/pty/master
/dev/pty/000
/dev/pty/001
/dev/pty/NNN

This will make certain programs (like finger/ps) hate me, but why not
change them.  Make NetBSD a friendlier place to live in, without
sacrificing any functionality...

Anybody wanna comment on this?

--Toby.
| Tobias Weingartner | Email: weingart@BrandonU.Ca | Need a Unix sys-admin?  |
| Box 27, Beulah, MB |-----------------------------| Send E-Mail for resume, |
| R0M 0B0, Canada    | Unix Guru, Admin, Sys-Prgmr | and other details...    |
|      %SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown         |