Subject: Re: Formal getty replacement yet?
To: Rob Healey <rhealey@kas.helios.mn.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1994 11:54:34
[ On Mon, December 19, 1994 at 15:59:45 (-0600), Rob Healey wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Formal getty replacement yet?
>
> 	As a religeous note: I see having to use 2 seperate devices as
> 	an icky kludge. It isn't necessary if the serial port driver
> 	is written correctly. I used dialin/dialout with one serial device on
> 	Amiga UNIX SVR4 for 4 years, with ttymon no less, and it all just
> 	worked. I see no reason why the general serial port code couldn't
> 	do what other OS's have been doing for years.

It sure is an icky kludge from the unix-philosphy perspective!

However, doesn't ttymon's management of the port work in a similar way
to uugetty/uucico or flexfax?  I.e. use lock files?

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>