Subject: Re: Formal getty replacement yet?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/20/1994 11:53:18
[ On Mon, December 19, 1994 at 14:53:14 (-0500), Ken Hornstein wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Formal getty replacement yet?
>
> Ugh.  Only a solution if you have a breakout box or a cable-making kit.  If
> you're stuck at home with just a set of cables that have molded connectors, the
> software approach is the only answer (I'd hate to tell people that the answer
> to getting their terminal working is to buy a breakout box or make their own
> magic cable).

I don't think the state of the art is such yet that you can get away
without having the ability to modify/fix a cable, *unless* you have very
standard applications, and you purchase the best possible "standard"
hardware....

If *the* answer is to build a correct cable, then it's the only answer
that's practical.

You certainly don't want the async driver to support a port as either
DCE or DTE, even though it *could*....  Sure, no more null-modem cables,
but talk about complexity!

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>