Subject: Re: /dev/cuaXX (Was: Formal getty replacement yet?)
To: Torsten Duwe (Emacs) <duwe@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1994 21:35:06
"Torsten Duwe (Emacs)" says:
> Why would one want such a thing as /dev/cuaXX ? I've had the same problem
> recently (modem, xntp-refclock), and found ttyflags(8?), which allows you to
> configure /dev/tty0? as a dial-out device at boot time (well
> basically).

Because one might want to have a getty running on the line for when
someone dials in, but also run UUCP outgoing on the same line. You run
the getty on the device that only opens when it gets carrier, and it
will pick up if anyone calls. You run the UUCP on device that opens
when it has no carrier and its happy, too. The two can never step on
each other because only one will open at a time. Its a marvelous
hack. I've used it for years on Suns and I sorely miss it. Lock files
for ttys are orthogonal and not a replacement.

Perry