Subject: Re: Formal getty replacement yet?
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 12/19/1994 10:47:15
[ On Sun, December 18, 1994 at 14:18:16 (-0800), J.T. Conklin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Formal getty replacement yet?
>
> I remember what great fun it was debugging bidirectional modem ports
> under Xenix/286.  Uugetty sometimes decided that modem responses was
> someone trying to log in, and would continue to chat until I
> recognized the problem.

IMHO, it's an order of magnitude easier to debug such problems in
user-space than in kernel/device space!  Having "locks" in kernel space
means it's usually very very difficult to discover the exact state of
the system from user-space, and/or to forcefully change the state of the
system (i.e. much harder than simply removing a lock file).  Fixing a
modem configuration is also usually easier than fixing a device driver,
at least for most folks.

Also IMHO, such things a ignoring modem control, or flow control, on a
port are hardware problems and should be fixed with appropriate hardware
solutions (i.e. jumpers in the connector!).

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>