Subject: Re: Help ( Undefined symbol "___sys_errlist"(
To: None <,>
From: Paul Kranenburg <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/17/1994 12:54:08
> I thought it was a safe chage because I thought the indirect reference
> that mapped sys_errlist[] to _sys_errlist[] would be resolved at load
> time.
> If that is the case, it looks like we'll have to bump the shared
> library version number once again --- something I had wished to avoid
> for a while.  On the other hand, I would have expected lots more bug
> reports for this problem.  err() and warn() were changed too.

At run-time, symbols which have turned into aliases (since link-time)
can be dealt with. Unfortunately, the reverse is not true: there are
circumstances in which ld inserts the "true" name in its (internal)
symbol tables. Maybe I should fix this.

Meanwhile, would inserting a backwards weak reference help to avoid bumping
the major version number? Eg:

	__weak_reference("_sys_errlist", "__sys_errlist");

If this is in libc, should be able to redirect to the new definition.