Subject: Re: Help (ld.so: Undefined symbol "___sys_errlist"(
To: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
From: John F. Woods <jfw@jfwhome.funhouse.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/16/1994 23:17:10
> I think I may be responsible for this.  I changed the name of those
> arrays from __sys_errlist[] to _sys_errlist[] (likewise for siglist).
> I thought it was a safe chage because I thought the indirect reference
> that mapped sys_errlist[] to _sys_errlist[] would be resolved at load
> time.
> If that is the case, it looks like we'll have to bump the shared
> library version number once again --- something I had wished to avoid
> for a while.  On the other hand, I would have expected lots more bug
> reports for this problem.  err() and warn() were changed too.

If this change does require bumping the shared library version number,
and if there wasn't a pressing motivation for it, perhaps it could be
backed out until someone else causes the version number to change?
(I'm reluctant to suggest that, since I've screwed myself many times
by sitting on changes until I've forgotten about them, but it is kind
of inconvenient to have the library version change more often than it
has to...)