Subject: Re: Problems with ed driver with NetBSD-1.0
To: None <ziff@eecs.umich.edu>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/15/1994 07:34:12
   I just purchased a Micron PowerStation P90 with the BusLogic 946C PCI SCSI-2
   controller.  When I try to install NetBSD on this machine, everything works
   with the installation except whenever I try to enable my SMC 8216C EtherNet
   board, it starts shooting back the error message

   "ed#: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 0"

Offhand, I don't know why this is, but I do have some other comments.

   moby /netbsd: pci0 bus 0 device 0: identifier 04a38086 class 06000011 not configured
   moby /netbsd: pci0 bus 0 device 2: identifier 04848086 class 00000003 not configured

These are your host bridge and cache controller.

   moby /netbsd: pci0 bus 0 device 13: identifier 0140ffff class 01000000 not configured

That's your IDE controller.

   moby /netbsd: pci0 bus 0 device 14: identifier 88d05333 class 00010000 not configured

That's your VGA controller.

(Look in /sys/i386/pci/pcireg.h.)

   The really weird thing about all this is
   that I tried to install FreeBSD 2.0 on the same machine and not only did it
   configure the PCI devices, [...]

Sure, it claims to have configured them, but it doesn't actually *do*
anything with them!  I couldn't see any point in that.

On the other hand, maybe I should remove the `not configured' messages
to stop questions like this.  It seems that giving people too much
information confuses them.