Subject: Re: . in path
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: I presume I need no introduction. <greywolf@lonewolf.ithaca.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/13/1994 09:34:07
I haven't tried this, but has anyone tried doing an 'rdist' with this
...um, "feature"?  (My system is rebooting at the moment...)

If this shows up during an rdist, you're basically hosed.

#define AUTHOR "mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU (der Mouse)"

/*
 * >> Since when has it been the shell's duty to warn of possible security
 * >> problems?
 * > For the same reason that gets() does, I daresay.
 *
 * Except that gets() produces one message, at link time, and that's it.
 * (Mercifully.  The previous complaint at runtime was quite obnoxious.)
 *
 * > I like to consider it out friendly little quick-and-dirty check; it's
 * > easy to do, so why not?
 *
 * Because it isn't always a security risk, and you as the shell author
 * are not in a position to tell when it is and when it isn't, and you
 * don't provide any way to disable the check.  I may have a machine for
 * which for any of many reasons I want . in my path as root and due to
 * the lack of other users it's no less secure than any other way...but
 * that silly check means automated rsh to the machine is borderline
 * useless.
 *
 * > I would STILL like to know why dot is in the default PATH for sh, as
 * > set in var.c; this seems like very broken behavior to me...
 *
 * I don't know.  As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to change the
 * defaults.  But please give me a way to configure away what is in my
 * environment a useless noise complaint!  (And no, commenting out the
 * check in the source doesn't count, though that's probably what I'll end
 * up doing for the time being.)
 *
 * 					der Mouse
 *
 * 			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
 *
 *
 *
 *
 *
 */

#undef AUTHOR	/* "mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU (der Mouse)" */

--
 ______________ ___   ________ _____WHO: Greywolf (unto death)
/ ___\ _ \ __\ V / \  / /__ \| | __/WHAT: UNIX System Mangler...er, Admin