Subject: Re: . in path
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 12/12/1994 12:16:43
>> Since when has it been the shell's duty to warn of possible security
>> problems?
> For the same reason that gets() does, I daresay.

Except that gets() produces one message, at link time, and that's it.
(Mercifully.  The previous complaint at runtime was quite obnoxious.)

> I like to consider it out friendly little quick-and-dirty check; it's
> easy to do, so why not?

Because it isn't always a security risk, and you as the shell author
are not in a position to tell when it is and when it isn't, and you
don't provide any way to disable the check.  I may have a machine for
which for any of many reasons I want . in my path as root and due to
the lack of other users it's no less secure than any other way...but
that silly check means automated rsh to the machine is borderline
useless.

> I would STILL like to know why dot is in the default PATH for sh, as
> set in var.c; this seems like very broken behavior to me...

I don't know.  As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to change the
defaults.  But please give me a way to configure away what is in my
environment a useless noise complaint!  (And no, commenting out the
check in the source doesn't count, though that's probably what I'll end
up doing for the time being.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu