Subject: Re: 'novell compliant' ethernet cards
To: None <G.Michaelson@cc.uq.oz.au>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/11/1994 23:48:51
   However breaking into single-user state on the boot floppy I then ifconfig
   the device live and then get flooded with le: RBUFF messages as a constant
   stream. I've tried re-compiling the kernel with LEDEBUG and enabled
   ifconfig debug, the trace info isn't very meaningful to a klutz like me.

Yah, I suppose I should make the messages more informative.  Actually,
I just did that.  B-)

Anyway, Thomas Eberhardt noted that the following patch seems
necessary with PCnet-32 chips.  Perhaps it will work for you.  It
seems to me that the latter bit contradicts the documented behavior of
the LANCE, but I don't have PCnet-32 docs to verify that that it's
documented the same way.

It's also possible that your board isn't expecting to use DMA to
normal memory.  Does it appear to have any RAM onboard?

RCS file: /b/source/CVS/src/sys/arch/i386/isa/if_le.c,v
retrieving revision 1.17
diff -c -2 -r1.17 if_le.c
*** 1.17	1994/11/18 22:03:23
--- if_le.c	1994/12/12 04:38:57
***************
*** 285,288 ****
--- 285,289 ----

  	ia->ia_iosize = 16;
+ 	ia->ia_drq = DRQUNK;
  	return 1;
  }
***************
*** 400,404 ****
  	    IFF_BROADCAST | IFF_SIMPLEX | IFF_NOTRAILERS | IFF_MULTICAST;

! 	if (sc->sc_card != DEPCA)
  		isa_dmacascade(ia->ia_drq);

--- 401,405 ----
  	    IFF_BROADCAST | IFF_SIMPLEX | IFF_NOTRAILERS | IFF_MULTICAST;

! 	if (ia->ia_drq != DRQUNK)
  		isa_dmacascade(ia->ia_drq);

***************
*** 872,876 ****