Subject: Re: Why have disktab entries for SCSI at all?
To: Kenneth Stailey <>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- <>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1994 01:17:04
>The following three lines are repeat without permission from /etc/disktab
>on a NeXTSTEP 3.2 box:
># NOTE: The Builddisk application and /usr/etc/disk now are able to
># automatically determine SCSI disk geometry and capacity for SCSI disks
># that support the MODE SENSE command -- no disktab entry is required.

Well, disktabs kinda make it handy to let the OS know where the root,
swap, and usr partitions live.  Somehow I don't think the MODE SENSE
command is going to tell it that.  ;-)

   Michael L. VanLoon
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m