Subject: Re: Oddball network misbehavior
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/10/1994 01:14:43
>What interface does your `static default route' point to?  If it
>points to anything other than ppp0, then trying to send a packet to
>any host while the PPP route is not present will cause a route through
>the default route (and its associated interface) to be cached.

The point is that the pppd *was* up, and funcionting.  All packets to
class B and C networks went through, but packets to the two class A
hosts I tried failed until I removed the original default route.

The original default route was the loopback.  I was using the
"defaultroute" option on pppd, and it was working for class B and C
destinations.

   Michael L. VanLoon     michaelv@HeadCandy.com     michaelv@iastate.edu
  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x for PC/Mac/Amiga/etc.
     Working NetBSD ports: 386+PC, Mac, Amiga, HP300, Sun3, Sun4c, PC532
               In progress: DEC pmax (MIPS R2k/3k), VAX, Sun4m