Subject: Re: "panic: cannot mount root" with -current kernel and SCSI disk
To: None <joachim@microdesk8.ee.uni-sb.de>
From: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1994 05:38:37
   When I boot the same kernel at home on my i486 with Adaptec 1542B and a
   SCSI-2 IBM 0662 HD, the kernel panics right after device probing when it
   tries to mount sd0a as root (I also have a Toshiba 3501B CDROM connected).
   [...]

Are you sure it's mounting root, or is it execing init(8)?  If you
have a *really* old boot block installed, the kernel will lose trying
to exec init(8), and will die in various random ways.

This is why I've told people, repeatedly, that they should update to
code less than a year old.  Grumble.

If this is not your problem, then send me private mail.