Subject: "panic: cannot mount root" with -current kernel and SCSI disk
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Joachim Koenig <joachim@microdesk8.ee.uni-sb.de>
List: current-users
Date: 12/07/1994 10:08:00
I build a new kernel from -current last weekend.

It runs without problems here at work on a i486 with Adaptec 1542B and a
SCSI-1 Maxtor LXT213S HD.

When I boot the same kernel at home on my i486 with Adaptec 1542B and a
SCSI-2 IBM 0662 HD, the kernel panics right after device probing when it
tries to mount sd0a as root (I also have a Toshiba 3501B CDROM connected).
The disk parameters are correctly inquired from the disk during autoconf,
but when the kernel tries to mount the root, another inquiry takes place,
which returns all 0s for the parameters (heads, cyls, ..).

The kernel then panics and returns to the debugger, but the screen display
is munged. The debugger displays a few characters in one row, then a few
rows further, the next few characters are displayed a.s.o, so that
debugging is areal nightmare (this happens with different console drivers).

When I make a bootable floppy with the new kernel and boot from that, all
works fine, I can even mount sd0a without any problem.

An 1.0beta kernel runs just fine without any problems.

Has anybody else had similar problems? Otherwise I'd like to dig deeper
into the problem.

Joachim

--
email: joachim@ee.uni-sb.de   University of Saarland, Germany, Europe
phone: +49 681 3023043		     suffering should be creative,