Subject: Re: Wow. (Was benchmarks...)
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Daniel Carosone <danielce@ee.mu.oz.au>
List: current-users
Date: 12/06/1994 11:09:52
Getting off topic (I hope that means the topic has been done with).

Charles M. Hannum writes:

 > That seems to be the crux of the matter, to me.  You could just as
 > easily put an echo command in rc.local.  That's what *I* do, on
 > machines running SunOS.

Yep, or, if you don't like to wait for rc.local, you can change the
nvramrc so it comes up white-on-black at power-on, at least for some
versions of the prom.  I don't know how this would interact with
NetBSD/sparc's RCONSOLE, my sparc is headless.

 > It is almost *always* inappropriate to add more kernel options for
 > something you can deal with quite adequately elsewhere.

Personally, I'd just change the default to white-on-black. Screw
making it an option :-)

 > Most companies don't even give you direct access to the actual
 > engineers.  Do you know why that is?  It's because their time is
 > better spent engineering, not answering questions and having people
 > flame at them.  And it costs those companies REAL MONEY to have
 > first-level support people to absorb all the nonsense.

And it's one of the reason's that NetBSD is so valuable. Never forget
that that value is coming from the donated efforts of others.

--
Dan.