Subject: Re: Eeeek! The U word in man4!
To: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@imsi.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/01/1994 16:35:53
Roland McGrath says:
> POSIX (.12?, I can't keep track any more--the draft the specifies
> sockets) has chosen the name `local domain' for the Unix socket
> domain, AF_LOCAL et al.  I suggest NetBSD use this name and keep
> AF_UNIX as an alias for compatibility.  (Of course, noone has
> suggested renaming `struct sockaddr_un' to sockaddr_lo or anything
> else annoying like that which would actually require code changes.)

Don't forget the file sys/vm/vm_unix.c, available in every NetBSD
distribution worldwide :-)

Seriously, when enough of these things get changed, there will be
serious incompatibilities between the various BSD flavors. Source
patches that work among several flavors will go the way of the
dodo. Sigh.

Too bad we don't have a BSD consortium the way there is an X
consortium to help coordinate such things 1/2 :-)

Perry