Subject: Re: Nm output for multiple files ...
To: Andrew Cagney <cagney@highland.com.au>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/28/1994 10:08:35
> NM (typical of UNIX) behaves differently when given more than one file.
> For instance, contrast:
>
>     cagney@bunyip$ nm -go libmain.o
>     libmain.o:         U ___main
>     libmain.o:00000000 T _main
>     libmain.o:         U _yylex
>
> with:
>
>     cagney@bunyip$ nm -go libmain.o libyywrap.o
>
>     libmain.o:
>     libmain.o:         U ___main
>     libmain.o:00000000 T _main
>     libmain.o:         U _yylex
>
>     libyywrap.o:
>     libyywrap.o:00000000 T _yywrap
>
> do documents, such as POSIX, have an opinion on this?

POSIX.2 contains a nm specification, including a the exact output format
that must be used when the -P (portable) option is selected.

> PS: The difference above breaks lorder when used with gnu's binutils.
> PPS: NetBSD-1.0 BETA ~9th?

I'll see what I can do about adding -P to NetBSD's nm.  Then we can add
the flag to lorder's invocation of nm (and do whatever other tweaks are
necessary).  Then people who are cross compiling using the GNU binutils
should not have to do anything special for lorder.

	--jtc