Subject: Re: GNAT for NetBSD
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/25/1994 09:59:36
Does everyone remember this message?

> There now is an archive containing a statically linked version
> of the GNU Ada Translator GNAT 1.83 in
>
> ftp.ims.uni-stuttgart.de:/pub/unix/FreeBSD/gnat-1.83-freebsd-static.tar.gz
>
> Enjoy, you REAL programmers out there.
>
> Nils

> Cornelis van der Laan       --- nils@ims.uni-stuttgart.de
> IMS Universitaet Stuttgart  --- nils@guru.stgt.sub.org
> #echo "Knusper Knusper Knaeuschen" > /etc/nologin

Nils has relinked these programs using the '-r' option on the linker and
they are now recognized as NetBSD executables.  They even seem to work.
I only played with them for a couple of minutes last night (U.S.
Thanksgiving Holiday and all) so I can't tell you how LRM compliant they
are.  Everything I tried seemed to work.

The (minimal) file to get is "gnat-1.83-netbsd-statis.tar.gz".

While I understand that there are lots of folks out there that don't
care a whit about Ada, there have to be a few curious programmers who
haven't closed their minds completely and decided that 'C' is the one
true language.  While 'C' does have its advantages, (liberal use of
gotos, type mismatches only generate warnings, pointer/struct use is
confusing, all of those other good things) learning a little Ada
wouldn't hurt most folks.

In fact, I know there is a market for things like Ada tools and thick
bindings to existing 'C' server apps....

#include <std_team_ada.info>

--
TSgt Dave Burgess           | Dave Burgess
NCOIC, USSTRATCOM/J6844     | *BSD FAQ Maintainer