Subject: Change of mpid to static nextpid in /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_fork.c?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: current-users
Date: 11/24/1994 19:10:18
[This is really a generic 4.4BSD question I suppose, but since NetBSD is the
 only 4.4 variety platform I have access to ... ]

I noticed that "top" on NetBSD 1.0 doesn't show the pid of the last process to
have run ("last pid: ").  After poking around a bit it appears that BSD-derived
systems up through 4.3BSD had the global "mpid" in kern_fork.c that could be
grabbed to find this out, but in NetBSD 1.0 (and presumably in all 4.4-derived
O/Ss?) this got changed to "nextpid" and got turned into a local static inside
kern_fork.c::fork1().  Well, I thought it was a handy thing to know anyway (-:

Any idea why this little guy is no longer a global?

Thanks,

	- Greg