Subject: use of gnumalloc?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lm@melb.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 11/18/1994 12:09:33
Is there any need to have gnumalloc in the tree anymore?
Do programs depend on some feature or quirk that it provides
that the 4.4BSD/NetBSD malloc doesn't? If not, wy don't we
depreciate gnumalloc's use by programs (although keep it in
libc for programs that need it.) Or is the BSD one a memory
hog and the gnu one not?

I've compiled up XFree86-3.1 and it uses -lgnumalloc, and one
of the config options is Malloc0ReturnsNull NO. Looking at the
source for gnumalloc it appears that doing malloc(0) returns
a pointer that you can realloc, free, etc. From looking at
libc/stdlib/malloc.c, NetBSD malloc has a similar functionality
(because I can't see a special case for nbytes==0.) I haven't
had time to whip up test programs to check this though.

--
Luke Mewburn, <lm@cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>
`Think of it as Evolution in Action.' - "Oath of Fealty", Niven & Pournelle