Subject: -current gcc errors
To: None <>
From: Greg Spiegelberg <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/17/1994 20:53:26
Has anyone ever encountered the following?

gcc -O -pipe   -I/usr/X11/include -I. -Dunix -DUSE_PROTOTYPES=1 -c tif_dirread.c -o tif_dirread.o
gcc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal 11
make[1]: *** [tif_dirread.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/user/src/x/xv-3.00a/tiff'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[8:43pm] /user/src/x/xv-3.00a {13} tif_dirread.c: In function `TIFFFetchRefBlackWhite':
tif_dirread.c:1051: output pipe has been closed

This was from compiling XV 3.00a but it hasn't been limited to just
that source.  The kernel, Xaw, xview 3.2, tcsh 6.05, etc...
The "gcc: Internal compiler error: program as got fatal signal" has varied
too from 11 to 127.  I get the same error when compiling the latest gcc
(2.5.8, 2.6.1, 2.6.2) as well.

Funny thing is, I guess, is that I do another "make" after I get the error
it picks up where it left off and continues like nothing bad has happenned.
It doesn't always happen either.  I can take the same kernel config, for
example, compile it once just fine then the next time it'll give something
similair to the above.

System setup:
486/33DLC (Cryix) VLB, AMI BIOS (1991), 20MB RAM, AIC-6360 SCSI
controller VLB, Diamond SpeedStar PRO VLB 1MB

Any insights?
Greg "TwoTone" Spiegelberg		      SAIC UNIX Systems Admin Dude
RidgeNet, Ridgecrest, Ca.
	 My views are hardly reasonable or credible thus are
		contrary to others including SAICs.