Subject: Re: crypt(3)
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
From: Ronald Khoo <ronald@cpm.COM.MY>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1994 13:31:33
According to Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>

> I don't like having to replace the current scheme with anything nor would I
> want to see new-entries be MD5 generated.
> [ ... ]
> I suppose if it was offered as a choice (ie: in the makefile) and the
> default was to read both and generate the current scheme, then I wouldn't
> find too much to object about.

But you're missing the point, which is that the current default is
*already changed* to using PLAINTEXT passwords (with a known plaintext
password for the root bourne shell user), and that any default other
than that would be better.  You don't get standard UNIX encrypted
passwords by default, you have to specifically obtain the secr
distribution which I'm not allowed to.

A MD5 default, with UNIX crypt option for those in the USA would
certainly be better than this.  I say "Go for it".

--
Me: Ronald Khoo  Food: Roti Chanai  Drink: Tea, weak, milky without sugar
In Malaysia: ronald@cpm.com.my  +60 3  241 5232  Computer Protocol Malaysia