Subject: Re: crypt(3)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/16/1994 00:11:40
In article <9411151807.AA04448@kuma.web.net>,
Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net> wrote:
> > Replacing crypt(3) with MD5, if done properly (i.e., a salt was still
>
> I agree, except for the use of the word "replace", since there's also a
> very strong need for compatability with the standard password scheme too
> (esp. in places like our site here!), so I don't want to see the current
> stuff completely ripped out either.  Choice is so much more appealing!

This is particularly important for people using NIS in multiplatform
environments. There is already apparently a problem with NIS
interoperability and NetBSD extra passwd field.

--
Ty Sarna                  "chron: (n.) the amount of time water takes
tsarna@endicor.com         to become moist upon wetting" -- Bill Maher