Subject: Re: i386 resolv.conf problem
To: Robert Dobbs <banshee@gabriella.resort.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/12/1994 14:24:00
> I had
> nameserver 165.227.14.1
> in resolv.conf and everything has been happy for quite some time.
> I noted today that this was not in fact working and I needed a
> real name and not an ip address.  Is this some recent change?
> More to the point isn't this a bug?

i've never seen the need for a real name (rather than an IP address)
in resolv.conf, under 1.0... sun-lamp's resolv.conf looks like:

domain cs.berkeley.edu
search cs.berkeley.edu berkeley.edu
nameserver      127.0.0.1
nameserver      128.32.138.82
nameserver      128.32.130.2

and it's running mostly-1.0 binaries, and it's an i386.

i set up a 1.0 sparcstation two days ago, and it didn't need
an explicit name; an ipaddr works fine...

i dunno why you're having the problem you are, but i've not seen it...

chris