Subject: Re: XFree3.1 under NetBSD1.0Beta
To: Ralf Paffrath <paffrath@sun.koblenz.fh-rpl.de>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1994 14:10:26
>XFree3.1 under NetBSD1.0Beta:
>
>I've installed XFree3.1_S3-Server on my PC DX66/16Meg under NetBSD1.0Beta.
>Everything works fine, except the x-server cames up very slowly and
>clients are very slow.
>For example xearth_92 takes more than 4 minutes!
>Something is wrong but i don't know what it is.

I just installed XFree86 3.1 on the home machine (a 66Mhz DX2 w/16Mb) running
NetBSD 1.0.  Works like a charm (and I finally got rid of that shimmer on the
left edge of the monitor I had under 2.1.1).  No loss of speed as far as I can
tell (was going to run xbench later to see if there is any appreciable
difference).

I don't know what to tell you, other than perhaps you should try 1.0, as
opposed to 1.0_BETA (1.0 isn't released officially yet, but you can get a
"pre-1.0" installation).  The other obvious answer is perhaps you have XFree
configured incorrectly to not take advantage of an accelerated graphics card,
if you have one.

--Ken