Subject: Re: Install failure
To: Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
From: None <t2372ag@sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de>
List: current-users
Date: 11/08/1994 18:21:26
> > symptoms. I can boot the aha kernel from floppy and everything works fine.
> > As soon as I boot the kernel from the harddisk (connected to the ncr 53810)
> > it will crash after the "changing root device to sd0a" message. Is there
> > anything obvious I could have done wrong?
>
> I hate to even suggest it, but it sounds like the standard disk geometry
> problem.  There is a lot of stuff in the FAQ about disk geometry.  Some
> of it may apply to your problem.
>
> If you can boot up with the floppy, try running pfdisk to see what the
> controller thinks the drive looks like when the drive resets.  It might
> be different then you installed with.  If this is true, then all kinds
> of wonderful (another word for weird) things could be happening...

Hi again,

also I plan to use the machine for NetBSD only, I followed your advice and
used the bios geometry (i.e. the one reported by de.exe) instead of
the real disk geometry. I also checked /mnt/dev and it is populated and
there are entries for sd0*. So what else could be wrong?

	Thank's - Matthias

PS: The panic is a "fatal pagefault in supervisor mode" (vm_fault(f8197430,
    8000, 1, 0)).