Subject: Re: chown, quotas and security
To: None <mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1994 12:38:39
[ On Sun, November  6, 1994 at 22:58:27 (est), mycroft@gnu.ai.mit.edu wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: chown, quotas and security
>
> The chown(2) system call turns off the setuid and/or setgid bits as
> appropriate, so this is not a concern.

It doesn't.  (Proof by experimentation)

But in my reading of the code, it *should*, at least for ufs
filesystems.  ufs_setattr() calls ufs_chown(), which does the mask, and
then it calls ufs_chmod(), which should set as per the masked bits....

Is there some possibility that 0.9 filesystem support breaks this (we're
still running with 0.9 filesystems on a NetBSD-1.0_BETA kernel).

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>