Subject: Re: chown, quotas and security
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@kuma.web.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1994 12:07:11
[ On Sat, November  5, 1994 at 20:08:11 (-0500), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: chown, quotas and security
>
> Hmmm.  On second thought, it does kinda need to be in the kernel,
> 'cause you should be able to give files away only on filesystems that
> don't have quotas enabled.  Unless you want chown(1/8) to figure out
> whether the file in question is on a filesystem with quotas....

Definitely in the kernel, please!  This would be particularly useful for
those of us who are thinking of writing a more unix-homogeneous network
filesystem (ala something just a bit better than RFS).

I definitely don't want chown setuid root, *and* responsible for
figuring out filesystem types.  Too many things to break there!

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734			VE3TCP		robohack!woods
Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; UniForum Canada <woods@uniforum.ca>