Subject: Re: Disk tuning and bad sectors
To: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.edinburgh.ac.uk>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@alpha.bostic.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/07/1994 10:06:24
> >    A while back I remember someone talking about the min % free for 1GB
> > drives.  What is a reasonable minimum  % for these larger drives?
>
> I believe Chris Torek posted some figures a couple of years ago that
> suggested that there was negligible degradation with 5%, and that it
> didn't really get bad until about 2%.  I use 5%.

perhaps, and i believe that by default, in 4.4BSD, the value was
5% minfree

However, between 4.4 and 4.4-Lite, Kirk McKusick decided (i dunno if
the decision was backed up by measurements, or what; i can only assume
he had good reason) to bump it back up to 10%: apparently, if you're
doing clustering, the extra 5% gives you enough more contiguous blocks
that it _does_ once again make a performance difference...

chris