Subject: Re: NeXT?
To: Rolf Grossmann <grossman@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@rocinante.digex.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/03/1994 17:15:06
On November  3, you wrote:
> Hey, I never expected anyone to be interested in this, as NeXTStep already
> is a BSD flavour and _in my view_ the look and feel of NeXTStep is much
> better than X11 (and if you still need X11 you can get it anyway).

  But in the opinion of many, there are a lot of things in the BSD
side of NeXTStep that are broken, and the underlying MACH is slow as
molasses.  I had a big conversation about this last night with a
friend of mine who is a NeXTgod (he got me into NeXTs, as a mattter of
fact) and we did agree that people get NeXTs for the software, not the
performance; but there may be some people wanting to use a 4.4-ish
system with X on their [admittedly rather nice] black NeXT hardware.

  I would agree on the "look-and-feel" thing but remember that with
the right window managers and toolkits, you can make X look and feel
like ANYTHING you want.  Taken straight from some official X
consortium document long ago, not quite verbatim but close:

  The X window system implements a windowing mechanism, not policy.

  But more to the point...I know several people who would like to see
a NeXT port of NetBSD.  In my opinion, the idea has merit.

                            -Dave McGuire
                             Operations
                             Digital Express Group, Incorporated
                             mcguire@digex.net