Subject: research on pedantry and long longs
To: None <>
From: Ted Lemon <>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1994 16:46:46
I just spent some time groveling through the latest gcc snapshot, and
it looks like if a file is included with #include <foo> (as opposed to
#include "foo"), then long long declarations within that file are
allowed even if the -pedantic flag is set.

Obviously this isn't working on the XFree86 build right now.   This
could be either because this is a new feature, or something in XFree86
is including a system header file as if it were not a system header
file.   Having hacked on X quite a bit, I suspect the latter.

I don't think that this is an ideal solution - I don't like it when
the compiler behaves differently on the basis of whether a file was
included with <> or "".   However, if we're only having trouble in a
few cases, it might make sense to change the #include directives to
use <> instead of "".

Meanwhile, I will mention this problem on the gcc2 mailing list and
offer to submit a patch supporting __long_long__ as a type declarator.
I don't know how well this will go over, nor do I know how long it
will take for the change to propogate into a gcc release if it is
approved, so if the short term workaround mentioned above is possible,
I'd suggest that it be tried in the interim.

Ted Lemon		      Wells Fargo Bank, Information Protection Division					+1 415 477 5045