Subject: research on pedantry and long longs
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Lemon <mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1994 16:46:46
I just spent some time groveling through the latest gcc snapshot, and
it looks like if a file is included with #include <foo> (as opposed to
#include "foo"), then long long declarations within that file are
allowed even if the -pedantic flag is set.

Obviously this isn't working on the XFree86 build right now.   This
could be either because this is a new feature, or something in XFree86
is including a system header file as if it were not a system header
file.   Having hacked on X quite a bit, I suspect the latter.

I don't think that this is an ideal solution - I don't like it when
the compiler behaves differently on the basis of whether a file was
included with <> or "".   However, if we're only having trouble in a
few cases, it might make sense to change the #include directives to
use <> instead of "".

Meanwhile, I will mention this problem on the gcc2 mailing list and
offer to submit a patch supporting __long_long__ as a type declarator.
I don't know how well this will go over, nor do I know how long it
will take for the change to propogate into a gcc release if it is
approved, so if the short term workaround mentioned above is possible,
I'd suggest that it be tried in the interim.

			       _MelloN_

--
Ted Lemon		      Wells Fargo Bank, Information Protection Division
mellon@ipd.wellsfargo.com					+1 415 477 5045