Subject: Re: Curses programs set terminal to 7 bit
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.com>
From: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zappa.unna.Ping.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 11/02/1994 20:03:20
In message <783744207.15072@druid.com>you write:
->I checked the FAQ but can't seem to find this in it.  It seems that
->if a program uses curses it will change the terminal to 7 bit even
->parity even if it started out as 8 bit.  I found this to be true of

As far as I'm concerned, I have run accross many programs
that set 7e1.  All of these used the traditional BSD line discipline.
A favourite one is less 177.  I had to convert it to POSIX for
not getting a useless terminal.  This behaviour is not visible on
the pcvt console, bacause pcvt does not distinguish between 8 and 7 bit,
as it seems to me.

Gruesse
       Oskar

 					Tragbar ist, was nicht herunterfaellt.