Subject: Re: possible printer problem
To: John Kohl <jtk@kolvir.blrc.ma.us>
From: Dave Burgess <burgess@s069.infonet.net>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1994 16:58:14

> re: resetting printers.  For my DeskJet500, I use /dev/lpa0np:
> crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   16, 192 Oct 17 10:33 /dev/lpa0np
>
> which is a polled driver, with no reset on open.  Seems to work mostly
> fine (occasional lost characters, alas, but quite infrequently).

I have switched over to this device, and it seems to work flawlessly for
me.  No more wiping out the last half of a page of text when printing,
or any of the other annoying little problems I was having.  The comments
in the source seemed (to me anyway) to imply that this 'non reset'
device was the resetting device.  Probably just me.

Quiz Question 1:  Should this device be included in MAKEDEV somehow?
Maybe even as the default device?

Just thought I'd give everyone something to argue about instead of that
boring old 'how many eight bit bytes in a 32 bit word' thing... ;-)