Subject: Re: gcc-ansi -pedantic and long long on NetBSD
To: None <perry@imsi.com>
From: T. William Wells <bill@twwells.com>
List: current-users
Date: 11/01/1994 16:03:22
> "T. William Wells" says:
> > Maintenance is something programmers don't like to think about,
> > though the reality is that much of the cost of programs is in
> > their maintenance. In a project of any size, the cost of one bug,
> > or even one re-coding for portability, that never happens because
> > -pedantic was used will vastly outweigh the cost of adhering to
> > its requirements.
>
> -pedantic is *not* a linter.

Metzger, I did not say anything about linting. Putting words in my
mouth doesn't make me say them. If you don't have the courtesy to
address what I *did* say, rather than the ditherings that pass,
in your mind, for understanding, just get lost.

> -Wall does that. -pedantic just makes
> sure you aren't using any constructs (like long long) that aren't
> ANSI.

I know that. The *point* is to not use such constructs as long
long. No doubt you haven't a clue why that is important....